11 Mar Eco Tourism Adventures in Big Bear, California
This winter has been an epic one for California ski and snowboarders. We have experienced record snowfall that makes everyone, even those more inclined to the “Apres Ski” want to hit the slopes this season. Nothing could be better than bluebird powder days and cozy nights in front of a fireplace. Big Bear Lake and Bear Mountain have implemented many eco-initiatives for the lake, the mountain and the entire city that will make your stay more enjoyable than ever.
The city of Big Bear and the US Forest Service have made a commitment to use “sustainable practices to improve quality of life and promote sustainable tourism in Big Bear Lake”.
- The city has established green building codes with a focus on reducing the carbon footprint of the town
- Energy efficient lighting has been installed throughout the town and mountain resorts
- Big Bear is even establishing a “non-motorized master plan to keep up with the recreational needs of the citizens and tourists” while doing their part to lower CO2 emissions.
- The US Forest Service has increased their use of hybrid, electric and alternative fuel vehicles in Big Bear
- The town has adopted eco-friendly trucks to the Big Bear Disposal fleet and is actively working to becoming a zero-waste community
One of my favorite things about this town is the Big Bear Valley Eco Tourism Coalition and Friends of the Big Bear Valley. The Goal: “Inspiring environmental awareness, appreciation and enjoyment.” A 501(c)3 non-profit organization, businesses and residents have come together to promote ecotourism in the Big Bear valley.
The Coalition assembles information on local natural habitats, ecotourism activities, tours, events, recreation, and sustainably-run local businesses. Look for events like the Eco-Sunday Adventure Festival, take an Eco-Tour around the lake on the Big Bear Queen, do an Off-Road guided tour through the forest. The coolest thing about the coalition is that it promotes sustainable businesses in the community. Businesses can sign up to become a BBV Ecotour Business or a BBV Green Business.
Even Bear Mountain and Snow Summit have made a commitment towards a more sustainable resort by partnering with eco-minded businesses. These partnerships help to promote sustainability both on and off the mountain.
Are you looking for a beautiful place to stay while you visit Big Bear? Try the Escape for All Seasons Eco Resort at the base of Snow Summit. Ski in/Ski out in the winter or a quick jaunt to the lake for boating and fishing in the summer.
Wherever your adventure takes you, Big Bear has it all. And it’s doing it in an eco-friendly way.