06 Jun Your Zero-Waste Picnic Guide
Summertime is the perfect time to dine “al fresco,” and we’ve got everything you need to green your meal on-the-go. Whether you’re planning a full day escape or taking a mid-day break in the sunshine, these top picks make any meal waste-free and Mother Nature-approved.
- Bo-ho your bowls… No doubts about it, we all go nuts for coconuts: coconut water, coconut oil, coconut-based lotions… but what happens to all of that coconut shell waste? Bohemian Bowls is a modern-day hero, upcycling these discarded pieces into beautiful one-of-a-kind, all-natural coconut bowls, spoons, chopsticks, and straws. These reusable dishes pack up easily and make any meal a special occasion.
2. Hydrate like a honey maker… Replace those disposable water bottles with this gorgeously designed, multi-use version by The Etching Bee. Created as a low-impact, low-waste, and reusable alternative to harmful plastic, each carbon-neutral, 100% recyclable glass bottle is etched with a unique and intricate design for truly artistic hydration. Plus, for each bottle purchased, the company pledges to plant a tree in support of reforestation efforts.
3. Tote like a pro… These sustainably hand-woven picnic baskets by Amish Baskets can handle the heartiest of meals. Crafted from organic wood and signed by its maker, each high-quality basket is built for functionality and designed as a cherished family heirloom for decades to come.
4. Put down the plastic… Ditch the wasteful plastic bags and wrap up your tasty morsels in eco-friendly Bee’s Wrap. The natural alternative to plastic wrap, these are washable, reusable, and compostable, and made using natural ingredients like organic cotton, beeswax, organic jojoba oil, and tree resin.
5. Take your tablescape up a notch… Replace those paper napkins with a gorgeous handmade set by The Global Trunk. Specializing in home goods made from mostly repurposed, sustainably-sourced textiles, The Global Trunk offers one-of-a-kind pieces crafted by indigenous artisans all over the world.